A longer bio
Hello, I'm Sammy! I've been a software engineer of some sort for over seven years.
I currently work at the Wikimedia Foundation on the Community Tech team, where I help implement community-requested technical features — being able to help the community I have been a part of for over 14 years is a very rewarding role.
Outside of the realm of being a software engineer, I am also a contributor to Wikimedia projects (such as Wikipedia and Wikidata) and a Wikimedia UK board member.
I have an applied interest in community moderation and governance, namely in the scope of open source projects (and of course, Wikimedia). This normally manifests as opinions on how the voice of "the community" should be drastically amplified, and how governing organisations should practice radical transparency.
On the fediverse
The bio on my fedi account always feels a little restricted in the amount of space available, so a couple of other things I'd like to mention are:
- I post about Wikimedia/Wikipedia a lot — it's both my hobby and my career, and something I'm very passionate about. It can get a little boring for some folx though..
- I also post a lot generally — sometimes I just my account as just a stream of consciousness. This can definitely irritate some people..!
- I boost posts quite a bit, and often without thinking too deeply about the impact a couple of thousand followers might have — please tell me if I shouldn't boost your posts, or if I should unboost one.
- I already have a lot of people who follow me, so I'm fairly picky about accepting new follow requests — that being said, providing you have filled out your profile and posted a couple of things and/or have a verified link to your website, I probably will accept it.
- If it feels like I may have forgotten about your follow request, please send me a DM saying hi ^^
- The "mood" metadata item on my profile is randomly selected from a list you can contribute to!
Too much? Go back and read the short version...